A tragic incident occurred in Kerala where a 14-year-old boy passed away due to a rare brain infection caused by an amoeba found in contaminated water. The boy had been swimming in a pond, leading to his contraction of the illness. State health officials have taken swift action to prevent further cases of this deadly infection.

Kerala boy died from a rare brain-eating amoeba after dipping in a pond

Amoebic meningoencephalitis is a rare but serious brain infection caused by Naegleria fowleri, a type of amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater environments like lakes and rivers. When water contaminated with the amoeba enters the nose, it can travel to the brain and cause inflammation, resulting in primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which can be fatal if not treated promptly.

This is the third confirmed case of infection in the southern state since May. The previous cases involved a five-year-old girl from Malappuram on May 21 and a 13-year-old girl from Kannur on June 25.

Symptoms and Treatment of Brain eating Amoeba

Naegleria fowleri is a tiny organism that is commonly found in water and soil that has not been treated. If water containing this amoeba enters the nasal passages while swimming or diving, it can lead to an infection. This infection can then spread to the brain, resulting in serious inflammation.

Infection symptoms like headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and altered mental state should not be taken lightly. It is important to take precautions like avoiding warm freshwater activities, using nose clips, and making sure water sources are treated properly to prevent such infections.

Unfortunately, there are no widely effective treatments for PAM at the moment. Medical professionals typically use a combination of medications such as amphotericin B, azithromycin, fluconazole, rifampin, miltefosine, and dexamethasone to manage the disease.